24 January 2010

Echoes: Verse 1, Rory Buchanan.

So, I have decided to officially launch a new feature on the blog that I am going to call "Echoes".  Echoes will be poetry and short story posting from friends and artist I admire and think that the rest of the world need to encounter.  I have done a few of these in the past but I want to provide the feature with a little more structure.

Here is the plan.  Once a week I am going to feature an artist.  I will give a little biographical information and post one of their works that speaks to me.  Please feel free to send me recommendations of people you think I should add to the list.

Daddy Lied
by Rory Buchanan

my daddy taught me
i must be perfect
i was weak if i cried
i had to know everything
that feelings only get in my way

my daddy told me
whie men don't like me
then he drank until I knew
he didn't like himself eiher

my daddy pushed me
to be better than everyone else
forgetting to tell me
i could set my own standards
instead of working toward theirs

my daddy talked to me
but never told me how he felt
never seemed to care what I felt
he only talked about what interested him
and told me to look the rest up in a book

my daddy showed me
that being a man meant being aloof
catering to white man dreams
raising kids that didn't understand you
until they were thirty
and then didn't want to

m daddy lied to me
but i forgive him
he lied to himself too
his daddy taught him how


Rory Buchanan is thirty-four years old and lives in Brooklyn, New York with his sixteen-year-old son.  His work has appeared in Pyramid Periodical.  He is an AIDS educator with the Minority Task Force on AIDS in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment