16 March 2010

Get Ya Mind Right: To Be Black, Gay, and Happy

Question:  They say we're all on the same political boat.  We should be brothers.  But, before I accept his kinship, political, or otherwise, this is what I want to know.  Where does his loyalty lie?  Priorities, that's what I want to know.  Come the final throwback, what is he first, black or gay?

I was going through one of my old notebooks and stumbled across this question.  I am pretty sure I got it from a book somewhere, but I didn't make a note of where I got, but I do remember when I wrote it.  It was about three years ago when I was first struggling with my sexuality and its implications for the rest of my life, my friends, my family.  I had just taken genuine ownership of my Blackness and wore it like a coat of arms, proud and majestically draped in shades of green, red, and ebony.  And yet, here was the possibility that I didn't quite fit the mold of the strong Black man; a splash of fuchsia thrown across my mosaic of afrocentricity.

I was afraid to ask questions of myself or my family.  Afraid of rejection.  Afraid of having to choose between my life and culture for this foreign part of myself that I still didn't really understand.  Then I came across a film called Tongues Untied by Marlon Riggs and he gave me an answer to my unasked question.

How do you choose one eye over another, this half of the brain over that?  Or in words this brother might understand, which does he value most, his left nut or his right?

Simple and yet profound.   As I sit and write I actually think I might have pulled that earlier quote from the same film (and if I didn't it sure as hell would have fit).  For a very long time I kept trying to figure out how I would manage to incorporate this new thing about myself to the life that I had created.  How would I choose and it wasn't really until that film that I stopped to ask who was making me choose.

I came up with a laundry list of society, my culture, my family, but the truth was that the only one who was really making me chose was myself.  I didn't need to change.  I had always been this foreign thing and it didn't detract from the good of my life.  Oh that is not to say that there were not moments of...adjustment.  Like the first time a guy kissed me in public.  Or the moment when I finally told someone other then my first partner.

But those moments came and went.  And I survived.

For anyone still struggling with the question of how to live in both worlds I leave you with these words by Kendall Thomas from his article "Ain't Nothin' Like the Real thing": Black Masculinity, Gay Sexuality, and the Jargon of Authenticity published in Wahneema Lubiano's anthology The House that Race Built.

For all it's ambivalence, the example of "slender gay" James Baldwin taught some of us ohow to be gay men in, and of, black America.  the life and work of James Baldwin thus give the lie to the notion that black and gay identity are hostile to one another at all points.  They show, too, that while "[i]t is difficult to be despised," black gay men and lesbians must resist the demand (heard in some quarters) that we must choose between these two sources of the self and commit a kind of psychich suicide (Thomas 122).


Peace.

I.M.


Tongues Untied, prod. and dir. Marlon Riggs, 55 min., color, 1985, videocassette.

Thomas, Kendall.  " ' Ain't Nothin' Like the Real Thing': Black Masculinity, Gay Sexuality, and the Jargon of Authenticity."  The House that Race Built.  Ed. Wahneema Lubiano.  New York: random House, 1998.  (122).

4 comments:

  1. I often thought of the same thing. When it comes down to it where does my identity fall. Black man or Gay man? Where does my allegiance go to? Gay rights or Equality for African Americans (because we are still fighting that good fight). I've come to realize that it is just another label and another box that instead of clearing things up it just adds more confusion. I am both so therefore I fight for both. But it dwindles down to me just being a man. Before I was gay before I was slapped with one out of many races I have in my blood. I was man. Funny as I read this the song What Can I Do For You - Labelle happened to pop on my ipod. The song basically is saying that we all need to be sisters and brothers and at the end of the day we all just need love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree w/ my nepphie, Rudy. First and foremost, I am a MAN...all of those other 'adjectives' come as we get older and start that journey we call 'life'. Often times, those of us who are in the 'gay community' get so caught up and encamped w/ the whole term 'gay' that we become solely identifiable as that. As I said earlier, I am a MAN first and foremost and being gay is secondary. Someone told me that we're only 'gay' when we're having sex; I still have some thinking to do on that statement, but in many ways that's a true statement...IF you don't give in to the 'community, societal' sterotypes of how 'a gay' should carry him/herself.

    Great post. Very well written. Thanks for sharing. And thanks to my nepphie for bringing this to my attention.

    TRAV :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree w/ my nepphie, Rudy. First and foremost, I am a MAN...all of those other 'adjectives' come as we get older and start that journey we call 'life'. Often times, those of us who are in the 'gay community' get so caught up and encamped w/ the whole term 'gay' that we become solely identifiable as that. As I said earlier, I am a MAN first and foremost and being gay is secondary. Someone told me that we're only 'gay' when we're having sex; I still have some thinking to do on that statement, but in many ways that's a true statement...IF you don't give in to the 'community, societal' sterotypes of how 'a gay' should carry him/herself.

    Great post. Very well written. Thanks for sharing. And thanks to my nepphie for bringing this to my attention.

    TRAV :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK! this is my effin THIRD time trying to comment this now i'm bout to get mad.

    mainly i just really like the quote about choosing. For how does one choose one side of himself over another, especially when there is no harm done to this side or that. For instance, if someone had an arm that was infected with some disease so he had to choose which arm to save, of course (if he has a desire to have at least one arm) he will choose the healthy one.

    A person who is gay is not unhealthy innately. But society frames his or her mind to believe that something is "wrong".

    Before i am gay, before i am even a man, i am something that is very fundamental to life, especially American life. I am HUMAN! I am a person. That alone should be enough to afford me respect, equality, fairness despite my being tall or short or black or gay or male.

    This really made me think and it definitely added some new artillery to my arsenal. (did i say that right or should it be reversed?) lol Anyways, bravo

    ReplyDelete