07 February 2010

Echoes: Verse 5, Paul Laurence Dunbar

Longing
by Paul Laurence Dunbar

If you could sit with me beside
     the sea to-day,
And whisper with me sweetest
     dreaming o'er and o'er;
I think I should not find the
     clouds so dim and gray,
And not so loud the waves com-
    plaining at the shore.

If you could sit with me upon the
    shore to-day,
And hold my hand in yours as in
    the days of old,
I think I should not mind the chill
    baptismal spray,
Nor find my hand and heart and
    all the world so cold.

If you could walk with me upon
    the strand to-day,
And tell me that my longing love
    had won your own,
I think all my sad thoughts would
    then be  put away,
And I could give back laughter
    for the Ocean's moan!

Paul Laurence Dunbar (June 27, 1872 - February 9, 1906) was a seminal African-American poet in the late 19th and early 20th century. Dunbar gained national recognition for his 1896 Lyrics of a Lowly Life. Born in Dayton, Ohio to parents who had escaped from slavery, Dunbar died from tuberculosis at 34.

Dunbar, Paul Laurence.  "Longing."  The Collected Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar.  Ed. Joanne M. Braxton.  Charlottesville:  Universty of Virginia Press, 1993.  p. 21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment